Adman were appointed by the Historic Environment Division (HED) to undertake essential restoration works to the historic tower located at Church Island, a small island on Lough Beg, a designated ASSI and Natura 2000 site. The ruins of a Medieval church survive on the island, the tower and spire of which was built for Bishop Harvey in the late 1700’s to enhance the view from his house at Ballyscullion.
The works were primarily concerned with safeguarding the historic fabric of the site and ensuring it continued to be a safe place to visit and enjoy for the local community and the many tourists who also visit the site every year. Key works included:
- Vegetation control across the church ruins, tower and graveyard wall
- Consolidation of spire and parapet of tower, west gable, east gable, south wall, north wall, north annex and graveyard boundary wall. This primarily involved preservation of stonework through repointing and securing loose masonry with lime mortar.
- Installation of buttresses to support leaning section of the graveyard wall
- Metalwork repairs to the graveyard entrance gate
- Provision of interpretation
Due to the historic and environmentally sensitive nature of the site, all works were undertaken in accordance with strict mitigation measures and in full consultation with the Historic Environment Division (HED and DAERA).